Atura Power is proud to be playing a leadership role in establishing the supply of low-carbon hydrogen in Ontario. This low-carbon energy source has the potential to reduce or offset emissions in a variety of applications and will be a critical tool in the fight against climate change and supports the net-zero goals outlined in OPG’s Climate Change Plan.
Benefits of Hydrogen (H2)
Low-carbon hydrogen has the potential to reduce or offset emissions. Applications include:
- powering fuel cells in vehicles, which could help replace diesel engines in the heavy-duty and long-haul trucking industry;
- filling the role as an energy substitute for high-emitting industrial facilities; and,
- blending hydrogen with natural gas to reduce its carbon impact.
A request for market information was issued recently to leading vendors on electrolyzers ranging in size from 20 megawatts (MW) to 200 MW. This information will help inform demonstration projects.
Atura Power is partnering with Ontario-headquartered global engineering, project management, and professional services firm Hatch on a feasibility study for several hydrogen demonstration projects.
Check back here for updates as this project progresses.
Want to Learn More?
Want to learn more about H2? We encourage you to visit these links to industry publications related to hydrogen and the future of energy:
- IEA Net Zero by 2050 (PDF)
- Ontario Discussion Paper (PDF)
- Canadian Hydrogen Strategy (PDF)
- Hydrogen Business Council – Path to Cost Competitiveness (PDF)
- Hydrogen Insights 2021 via hydrogencouncil.com (PDF) - Feb 2021 update
For more information or to discuss potential H2 partnership opportunities, please email email@example.com.